Dance Decoded: Taking Dance in Physical Education
to the Next Level!
What dance opportunities do you create for students at your school? MacKenzie Mushel-Ellis, 2014 SHAPE America National Dance Teacher of the Year, will share tools for making dance more accessible, expand instructional strategies, creating choreography, and increase your confidence when integrating dance into physical education and throughout the school day. Participants will learn and create dances their students will love and can teach tomorrow! Discover how dance can be a medium for developing physical literacy, encouraging self-expression, and fostering creativity. If you are interested in expanding your dance content knowledge and pedagogy this workshop is for you!
A Special Day at your School or Agency:
Dance Decoded: Taking Dance in Physical Education to the Next Level! is a full day, on-site workshop hosted at YOUR facility. Attendees will learn fundamental components of creative movement, a variety of creative movement patterns and aerobic dance sequences, instructional strategies for facilitating a quality dance class or unit, and approaches to composing and assessing dance. When this active workshop concludes attendees leave ready to expand their content knowledge and pedagogy of dance. And they receive the tools and resources to begin the very next day!
Benefits of Dance
There are numerous benefits to dance. In our dance SNAPSHOT we learn that it improves neuroplasticity and brain integration. In What Can Dance Teach Us about Learning, we can see the importance of physical learning in the classroom.
Program Objectives/Outcomes – Participants will:
- Understand the fundamental components of creative movement.
- Demonstrate a variety of creative movement patterns and aerobic dance sequences with improved rhythmic accuracy.
- Identify and apply instructional strategies for facilitating a quality dance class or unit.
- Explore approaches to composing and assessing dance in physical education.
- Increase confidence and expand content knowledge related to integrating dance in physical education and throughout the school day.
- Days, and start/stop times are flexible; what’s best for your staff and district?
- 3 or 6 hours of “hands-on” instruction segmented by am/pm breaks and lunch (host facilitated)
- Maximum of 40 participants for safety and to ensure adequate space for all
- Can be elementary or secondary focused activities
Attendees Receive (FREE):
- Certificate of Completion (awarded end of day to those present)
- Post workshop consultation via phone and email
- Access to e-Newsletter, monthly webinars, and social media opportunities with other physical educators
- Raffle prizes and/or giveaways
About the Presenter:
MacKenzie Mushel Ellis, SHAPE America’s 2014 National Dance Teacher of the Year, has over a decade of experience teaching Dance, Health, Physical Education, and Adapted Physical Education. To educate and empower students to become physically literate individuals, she strives to create innovative learning experiences which engage all students, promote self-confidence, and foster a love for learning.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-SPARK PE to learn more about scheduling a Dance Decoded presentation for your school or district!